As most likely know by now, there has been a podcast boom. I (Cassie) love listening to a good podcast. I listen all throughout the day, while I cook, while I ride the bus, while I clean and craft and exercise. I thought that I would share with you my top ten podcasts in case you might be looking for something new and interesting to subscribe or listen to. I hope that you enjoy my list.
- On Being - On Being – Formerly known as Speaking of Faith, with Krista Tippett, explores questions of meaning and faith. She interviews scientists, theologians, artists and teachers with thought provoking questions that discover the immensity of our lives.
- Coffee Break Spanish – This is an excellent way to learn Spanish. Whether you are a beginner or quite experienced, you will build your confidence and knowledge with this podcast.
- Radio Ambulante – This has been a favorite of mine for the last couple of years. It tells uniquely Latin American stories and broadcasts in both English and Spanish. I never miss an episode and have used many of these podcasts in our classes.
- Latino USA – A radio journal of news and culture. It is the only national, English-language radio program produced from a Latino perspective. Every podcast captures my attention and I always look forward to the next one. The producer, Maria Hinojosa, is an amazing journalist and writer.
- This American Life - After many years of listening, Ira Glass seems like a close friend. Each week, This American Life shares three to four acts or stories that are each somehow related. I never miss this one.
- Social Work Podcast – For all of my Social Work colleagues and friends, or anyone else who is interested in the field, this is an excellent resource. It highlights various themes pertaining to the Social Work field, including direct practice, clinical work, community organizing, research, policy and education.
- On the Media – This weekly podcast is all about the media and how it is made. Brooke Gladstone and Bob Garfield provide wonderful media criticism and analysis.
- The Longest Shortest Time – Each week, this podcast shares about all things parenting. Feeding, sleep, childbirth, health, loss, whatever the theme it is always eye-opening and makes me wonder if we are really ready for kids.
- Serial - This 2014 phenomenon which explored the real life story of Adnan Syed, a teenager who was convicted of murdering his ex-girlfriend. It sounds like Adnan’s story will continue on another podcast and it is said that a new serial story will be released soon.
- Intelligence Squared U.S. Debates – I have found this newer podcast to be quite an interesting listen. Intelligence Squared U.S. Debates bring Oxford-style debate to the United States – one motion, one moderator, two panelists for the motion and two against. From clean energy, the financial crisis, to the Middle East and the death of mainstream media, this podcast brings together the world’s leading authorities on the day’s most important issues.
Let me know if you have any additional recommendations. I am always looking for new podcasts to listen to!