May 11, 2014

Taking Stock

I (Cassie) have seen this format go around on the internet world and thought it might be fun to share a perspective from Latin America.  I saw this here and I believe the original post can be found here.

Making: Decorations for a Baby Shower that we are hosting in a couple of weeks for our neighbors.

Cooking:  Anything with camotes (sweet potatoes).  For the past couple of months I have been obsessed with a wonderful recipe that includes coconut oil from the coast, camotes and a variety of spices.  Yum!

Drinking: A lot of water!  We are currently taking deparasyte medications and we are supposed to drink a gallon of water a day.  Lately, I have especially enjoyed adding cucumbers to my water.

Reading: Paperbacks and my Kindle.  Just finished The Things that Matter by Nate Berkus and I am onto This is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett.

Wanting: More time in the day and more sleep at night.

Looking: At the newly paved road in our neighborhood, we hope that our dirt road is next.

Playing: With the neighborhood kids, they have been super into a game called "Arriba."

Wishing: I could make a trip home to visit two of my favorite ladies and their new baby girls.  I would also like to surprise visit my mom and mother in law on this Mothers Day.

Enjoying: The introduction to rainy season in Managua.

Liking: A new podcast called Radio Ambulante.  It is similar to NPR's, This American Life, but in Spanish.

Wondering: When we will receive our adoption call and how this next year will play out.

Loving: All of the fresh and juicy watermelon that we can find at our local market.  We can finish a whole one each day!

Hoping: To slow down and create more down time in my day to day life.

Marveling: At the way that I have grown and changed over the past couple of years here in Nicaragua.  I am so grateful for this opportunity!

Needing: A better attitude about public transportation.  Sometimes I really dread riding the bus!

Smelling: A plate of fresh tostones cooked by my neighbor for Kevin's birthday.

Wearing: A dress, they are lifesavers in this heat.

Following: The new app for El Nuevo Diario.  I find that I am reading a lot more Nicaraguan news, which was a goal of mine for this year.

Noticing: That the dust is subsiding and I don't have to wipe down my counters as often.

Knowing: That each day is precious after hearing news of a friend here who has terminal cancer and only six months to live.

Thinking: About my trip to Bluefields, Laguna de Perlas and Kukra River in this upcoming week.  It will be exhausting, but I am looking forward to the work as well as the people that I will meet.

Feeling: Fortunate to stay an extra year in Nicaragua.  Our end-term date will now be December of 2015.

Bookmarking: Lots of pages in the Storyline Workbook by Donald Miller.  We are completing the module course with a small group of friends here.  It is thought-provoking, challenging, but so helpful.

Opening: My front gate and sharing our lives with the community around us.

Giggling: At silly political videos my dad sends me via e-mail.  I am not sure that we will ever "agree" with one another.

No comments: